Thursday, November 6, 2008

I voted on Tuesday.

It was my first presidential election in which to participate, and I felt incredibly honored and privileged to be able to take part in this ritual that defines America.

The Presidential candidate I voted for did not win the election. In fact, he was defeated by a wide margin by someone who I do not necessarily agree with, but who has inspired a generation of Americans to stand up for their country and enthusiastically take part in the political process. While I admit I do feel disappointed, it's become increasingly clear to me over the last two days that the attitude of this country has taken a 180 degree turn. The phrase "proud to be an American" has been uttered countless times since the election, and while I don't think national pride should be contingent on which political party has control of the government, it's refreshing to see everyone so positive.

I'm not a Democrat, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a nervous about the policies Obama has promised to enact. But after this historic November 4th, I'm refusing to be negative about the future of our country. To see my generation inspired to stand up for what they believe is right is a beautiful thing. And if in four years our President has not lived up to his reputation, I'll truly be sorry. If he is capable of uniting this many people in his campaign, who knows what great things he has the potential to achieve while in office. All we can do is pray that God's will be done.

No comments: