Monday, January 19, 2009

please, remember me
mistakenly 
in the window of the tallest tower
call, then pass us by 
but much too high 
to see the empty road at happy hour 
gleam and resonate just like the gates around the holy kingdom 
with words like 'Lost and Found' and 'Don't Look Down'
and 'Someone Save Temptation'  

please, remember me 
as in the dream 
we had as rug-burned babies 
among the fallen trees and fast asleep
aside the lions and the ladies 
that called you what you like, and even might 
give a gift for your behavior 
a fleeting chance to see 
a trapeze swinger 
high as any savior 

...

please, remember me
finally 
and all my uphill clawing, my dear 
but if I make the pearly gates 
do my best to make a drawing 
of God and Lucifer, a boy and girl 
an angel kissin' on a sinner 
a monkey and a man, a marching band 
all around the frightened trapeze swingers

iron & wine / the trapeze swinger  

No comments: