Wednesday, April 8, 2009

update

I decided to accept the family medicine job. I know most of you probably think I am insane, but I feel really good about my decision. Maybe I'm turning down a great opportunity, but I think I will gain a lot more from what I will be doing because I haven't had much experience with primary care at all and I'm really excited to learn more about it. Plus, going into second year already burned out would be a BIG mistake.

It also occurred to me, right after I clicked the "I do not accept" button on Vanderbilt's web page, that this means I am opening up a spot for someone else who probably wants this a lot more than I did. So that person will probably end up winning a Nobel prize for diabetes research or something, all because of my decision. (Okay, probably not, but it makes me feel better to think that.)

I'm a pretty strong believer in NOT doing things just for the sake of putting them on your resume, and although it would have looked pretty fabulous on there, that would have been pretty much my only reason for doing the Vanderbilt thing.

Thanks for your opinions, everyone. (And just FYI, if any aspiring medical students are reading this, you should for SURE apply for this Vanderbilt deal during your first year if you think it sounds cool. Apparently they are not picky in who they take.)

4 comments:

Kacie said...

Sorry I didn't get my comment in in time. I won't tell you what I was going to say. But I think you made a good decision. Either one is a good decision.

Liz said...

Kenneth: [about coffee] I love how it makes me feel. It's like my heart is trying to hug my brain!

Tricia said...

Good call, friend.

Erin said...

I agree with Kacie. Either one is a good decision. They will both have taken you on different paths, and in the end good things would have come out of both.