Sunday, November 16, 2008

There's a little Meg Ryan in everyone.

Anyone who knows me well knows that three little words can change the course of my entire afternoon.  You've Got Mail.   I am convinced that this is the one movie I will never, ever get tired of watching.  I can practically quote the entire thing.  Right now it's playing on ABC Family, and as much as I hated to tear myself away from studying for Fundamentals of Doctoring, I had to do it.  And I would like to share with you, my faithful reader, some thoughts from this cinematic masterpiece that never fail to make me smile.  

"Joe? Just call me Joe? As though you were one of those stupid 22 year old girls with no last name? Hi, I'm Kimberly, hi I'm Janice. Don't they know you're supposed to have a last name? It's like they're an entire generation of cocktail waitresses."

"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self. Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino."

"Sometimes I wonder... if i hadn't been Fox Books, and you hadn't been The Shop Around the Corner, and you and I had just met...  I would've asked for your number. And I wouldn't have been able to wait 24 hours before calling you up and saying, hey, how about... oh, how about some coffee, or drinks, or dinner, or a movie... 

for as long as we both shall live?" 


2 comments:

Tricia said...

I don't know what it's called, but it's on Airport, close to Schillinger.

Katie said...

allison. seriously. "you've got mail" is one of my top-five favorite movies. i watch it on every sick-day. sometimes i think about making a bouquet of sharpened pencils, and in my next life i want to open a children's book store on the upper east side of manhattan.